Friday, November 5, 2010

Night on The Town

A little while ago the Lion's Club here in Banbassa held a fudraiser function. There were rides for children and performers, food stands and merchants. It is a fairly big deal in this small town and people come form all around to get a piece of the action.

I vaguely knew that this event was going on but I didn't expect to get the opportunity to go, and after being warned about the size and sketchiness of the crowd I wasn't sure that I wanted to go. But with some encouragement, and reassurance I found myself getting ready to go out (instead of heading to bed) for the first time since being in India. The older girls here at the GSAM were all a buzz to help Lauren (the Australian volunteer here) and myself get ready. They assured us that we looked fabulous!

We had our local friend Gail come with us. She goes every year. And we were also accompanied by our personal body guard Chris... a volunteer who has lived here for about a year, originally from Washington state. Actually Chris was going in to this function anyways, and offered to take us with. This is the only reason we really went.

It was great! Everything that a Lion's Club function would be like in Canada. The crowd was not as big as we had expected it to be, and aside from lots of stares and little crowds forming beside us there was nothing to be worried about. Chris took his bodyguard duty VERY seriously. :)





The night was crisp and full light! We stayed for about an hour and then walked back to the mission. Definitely the better for having gone out into the heart of an Indian festival

Now I'm going to the Jungle for dinner... :O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly the kind of dangerous behaviour I was worried about! Please tell Chris I say thank you for being your bodyguard!

    ReplyDelete