Thursday, October 20, 2011

Never Enough

Time. Tick-tock goes the clock. Once upon a time. Time after time. Time and time again. In time. Time warp. Time flies when you're having fun. Time travel. Time is money. What time is it Mr. Wolf?

Sometimes, I think I have an obsession with time. Lately I've been recognizing how often I ask my sister "What time is it?". My mother will remember that growing up I would always measure the amount of time I slept during the night. The last thing I would do is check the time, and count the hours until I had to get up, just to measure how much sleep I could get, and then first thing in the morning I would compare the outcome with my hypothesis. Well actually... I still do that quite often. But the question is why?


You would think that after enough repetition of the same routine, the human brain would adapt and tell th
e body "You need 8 hours of sleep. You wake up at 7:30am. Go to sleep at 11:30pm no later. Therefore be in bed at 11:00pm no later. Begin winding down your day approximately between 10:00pm - 10:30pm, or earlier." buuuuut no! That isn't how it goes. Instead the brain says "You've got time. You can go with less sleep. How much is it gonna hurt you?" and the mindset of 'Not Enough Hours In The Day' takes over as an easy out.

See, I'm a procrastinator, it happens that is just the way it goes. I live with it, I figure out how best to work with it. However, I then turn blame fro
m myself (and my lack of time management skills) in to a fault of the Earth's rotation. Saying "If only the day were longer!" ...truth being told, a longer day wouldn't help. What I would end up doing is using it to procrastinate just a wee bit more.

My friends... there is a time for work, and a time for rest. May we all lear
n to use that time in a balanced and skillful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment