Sunday, June 6, 2010

Farm Girl Fashion

So my sister and I grew up on a sheep farm in rural Alberta. Often I wonder how a couple of farm girls came to love and appreciate fashion as much as we have. As kids we would go with our mother to thrift stores and we had to discover ourselves how to find the diamonds in the rough. We both went though our bouts of loathing the VV Boutique (Value Village) but have now come to love and appreciate the lessons learned from being raised on second-hand clothing.

1. Check the clothes: An article of clothing may look spectacular but there is a reason it only costs $5.00. Make sure all the zippers work, there are no missing buttons, and no unfortunate stains.

2. Try things on: Even though the pants are in your size you will never wear them if you can't bend over.

3. Be patient: For every great find there are 10 bad ones. Take your time, and enjoy.

4. Select wisely: The clothes in thrift stores are inexpensive but the prices add up if you come away with a huge pile. Make your choices, and make the best ones.

Now I speak for the both of us when I say that you have reason to be shocked if you hear of us buying a pair of jeans over $40.00. (Actually Ailen just bought a really expensive pair of jeans and I was really shocked. But she was in an awkward position so I let that purchase slide). Shoes, on the other hand, SHOES are a different story. In the midst of the shopping we would do with our mother, she always told us that if we found a pair of shoes that we loved and that fit, we should buy them. No question. So along with our inability to justify buying expensive clothing, my sister and I have carried into our adult life the value of great shoes. No question.

Lastly I think that my sister and I growing up on a farm, in the middle of nowhere, was perhaps the best thing to have happened for our current fashion sense. We didn't buy from high end stores as a family so we had to make up our own style instead of going with the fad of the day...
And judging from these two comparative past-present photos, we always had a flare for style, and we will always be farm girls.


















Peace.
kel.

No comments:

Post a Comment