Friday, January 13, 2012

Voices

Hey everybody! It's Storytime With Kelsey

While on lunch break at school today I reflected to my classmate Laura that the days of the week have become jumbled together in my brain, and I keep believing that it is Wednesday. Her response was "I have given up trying to keep track of the days of the week, all I know is that I have to keep working." (or something to that effect).

I could see what Laura was saying and why, after all, I am bound to follow in her footsteps, and I can feel the impending doom of a full homework load about to come crashing down on me (i.e. this weekend). But for some reason this does not frighten me. I am excited about the work I'm doing, the skills being learned, and the potential for the future.

My good friend Sydney is quoted as saying "Sometimes I wish I could just fast forward to the point when school is over." I completely agree with her! I don't particularily enjoy the idea of the absence of a social life, not to mention any free time, but coupled with that is the fact that sometimes daydreaming of "the potential for the future" can be a very intoxicating pastime.

Thankfully I was able to have a morning coffee date with Katie at Phil & Sebastian's today. When expressing this to her she replied with "Looking back, I do miss when I was in school. It wasn't a particularily GOOD time, but I still miss it." (right, it was close to that).

Now I do realize that a good portion of our audience no longer in school, so please allow me to continue...

"I remember leaving school, thinking I could take my time, and for ten short years sitting in that frame of mind." Today while my sister and I were listening to this song of Denise & Pete's, I told her that I often think of that line, and how far away it seems. Simply Ailen said "And I'm on the other side of that..."

Take from this story what you will. I am simply glad to have all these different voices speaking into my life. Too often only one perspective is recognized, and it's usually our own. But taking a step back from that point of view, and allowing others to spred a little light, is what being friends, a community, humans is all about. It's why we need each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment