Monday, December 28, 2015

Boxing Day Skate; Going The Best Way I Can See How

When our cousin Torgny was quite small he lead our Aunts, Uncles, Parents, Grandparents, and other Palm Family Cousins through some pretty patchy snow/grass combination, on a cross-country ski adventure. Upon receiving some criticism on the chosen route, little 7 year old Torgny spun his torso around and hollered back,
"I am going the best way I can see how, so don't complain!" 
We all ended up getting to the destination, and having a wonderful picnic in the end, and no one complained, or even remembered the difficulty of the journey, the phrase however, it has stuck around.

I had the opportunity this past Christmas, to spend time with Torgny, and we were once again faced with a patchy route, instead of snow, this time we were looking for ice, where mainly grass resided. I reminded my cousin of the phrase he had used so many years ago, and this time he responded with,
"Well this seems pretty bad, no matter which way I see it." 
Yet again the group persevered, making it across the grassy lake inlet, to where an icy platform awaited our sharpened blades, and  expectant hearts.

It's probably experience, and an awareness foreign to children, that caused the change in Torgny's phrasing. The first one... "Going the best way I can see how..." has been used to describe many situations over the years, from picking up the wrong groceries at the store, to trying to choose flowers for a funeral. I like having a different response though. What I like most about it is that both situations ended the same; Good company, good food, good memories to hold close. The path to getting there, doesn't really ever matter.
















No comments:

Post a Comment